Friday, January 1, 2010

Citrus Challenge


Looks like I'll be canning something with citrus this month! I know just what I want to try too. This afternoon while I was making a banana cream pie I stumbled onto the page of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook that has the lemon curd recipe. And these 4 oz quilted Ball jars will be perfect for the project. Good for gifting too, but I don't know whether I'll be able to part with any of it. Okay, I'll try to be more generous in 2010. This seems like a good way to start.

Here's a post from the National Center for Home Food Preservation that gives a recipe and basic canning instructions: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/lemon_curd.html. I am irritated that they recommend using bottled lemon juice, but for the sake of safety, I think I'll take their advice.

1 comment:

  1. I'm just glad you found a lemon curd recipe suitable for canning; when I made lime curd earlier this summer, I ... um... ate it up before I could can it. ;) Still, your lemon curd recipe is just one of the TigressCanJam recipes I'll be adding to my list of must-make-this jams in 2010.

    ReplyDelete